My dad likes to watch Star Trek.
In all the seasons and episodes I’ve
watched of this futuristic show, the Holodeck is a means of amusement for these
characters. The Holodeck is a room with a technological graphing and the
characters use it to “visit” stories, run simulations, and enjoy themselves. They
can write stories and make their own program. If they don’t like something,
they simply say, “Computer, delete character.” Or “Computer, delete program.”
Delete, Delete, Delete, DEACTIVATE.
In yesterday’s post, I announced that
I would be deactivating my Facebook temporarily. Lately, I’ve been realizing
the hold this social network is having over my time. I like to post encouraging
stuff and I’ve been so blessed to be a blessing…but I realized the excited
anticipation I get when I see a notification. I see the time slipping as I
scroll through my newsfeed reading different statuses and commenting. Whenever I post something, I continually
check because the thought of knowing a message is out there waiting to be read…well
it’s just too strong to pass up.
And not just on Facebook.
Pinterest, as well. I love the DIY
crafts, the fashion ideas but most of all? I always go straight to the Humor
Category. Those closest to me, know I love a good laugh. Unfortunately, as I’ve
wandered through these boards people create, something began to trickle in. It
was slow and began to go unnoticed. It wasn’t until I realized my attitude
change and my relationship with God began to go dry that I knew something
changed. I felt my temper growing short, my lack of understanding and the
sensitivity to God’s Word was fading. What was going on?
Was it the new job? No, that job was a
blessing. God was enabling me to work.
Was it the stress of classwork? No, I
had plenty of time to do my assignments.
It wasn’t until I pulled my Itouch out
in a free Wifi environment, that I was openly rebuked by a good friend. IT HIT
ME LIKE COLD WATER. It was this. I had let these two sites have a hold on my
life. I had become so self-absorbed with myself and the fact that people
thought I was wise and funny. WHAT THE HECK!? I never wanted that. Then I knew
I had to limit myself. My friend suggested one post a day.
But I failed.
Miserably.
And Pinterest? I was shocked one day
at my callousness of the profanity and immorality on these boards! I would
quickly skim, ignore and just keep going. But because I spent so much time,
these horrible jokes would stick with me and like the saying goes, “Garbage in,
garbage out.” I was wasting time on these two sites and filling my heart with selfishness and wicked jokes. Do you know what kind of fruit bears in a heart fed
like this? Bitter, disgusting fruit. That’s why my temper wasn’t holding up and
my relationship with God was dry. I wasn’t filling my heart with the richness
and goodness of God’s Word. Even my devotions began to waver…So many factors
and red lights began to flash. God began to draw me until one day as I was
typing a prayer request on Facebook, I was again rebuked. This time by God.
“What are you doing?”
“Writing a prayer request…”
“You haven’t even prayed to Me about
it yet.”
Ouch. I deleted it and I prayed…but I
prayed more for forgiveness for turning to people. I hardly remember what the
situation was…I just remember I needed forgiveness.
Then this past week, a quote from
Charles Spurgeon struck a chord: “If you love anything better than God you are idolaters: if there is anything you would not give up for God it is your idol: if there is anything that you seek with greater fervor than you seek the glory of God, that is your idol, and conversion means a turning from every idol.”
-C.H. Spurgeon
God was asking me to give this up. And I didn’t want to. God used Spurgeon’s quote to open my eyes and realize I had fallen into idolatry. I was ashamed…but He showed me the way out. Turn away. Repentance.
Lord, I thought, I need a
confirmation.
Instantly I remembered a verse the
Lord said.
"If your hand or foot causes you
to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into
life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into
the everlasting fire.”
-Matthew 18:8
I was in sin and to get out of if, I
needed to cut it off. My walk with the Lord was wavering and I was going off
the path. So I then knew my answer. And a talk with my mom confirmed it. She
didn’t know what I was wrestling with in my heart and she unknowingly confirmed
my answer.
Give up Facebook and Pinterest. Get
away from those sites and return to the sweet fellowship with the Lord. Spend
my time and focus on Him and Him alone.
This Tuesday I will be deactivating my
account and the times I have the desire to go on will be spent with my Heavenly
Father. I will record these days on my blog so I will continue to do these
posts. I don’t understand why He hasn’t asked for my blog…but if He does during
this walk I will.
Sorry for the lengthy post and if you
made it this far, good for you! J

No comments:
Post a Comment