Saturday, December 14, 2013

It makes it hard to like you but I do

Two cars would fit into this road. Talk about thrill issues... I drove this everyday.


I should've seen it coming.

During the cold weather season, I feel my emotions change. The lack of sun, flowers blooming, and basically watching everything slowly wither away comes at me.  Cold weather never bothered me like this. Ever. But since I've seen and tasted what warmer weather is like all year long for 5 years...it's not easy to shake off.

I still miss Okinawa...but I've learned to love Washington. If I was to go back, I know I'd long for this place just as I am longing for Okinawa. I can't have both. This morning there was a brunch at my church and the strangest thing happened. Somehow, I understood this was where I was supposed to be...afterwards when I chatting with my friend about everything from the single life, God's will, work, books, I told her somewhere in between, "This is where I'm supposed to be."

Crazy.

I've never fallen in love but if I had to sorta compare it to something on this planet, I'd say I fell in love with Okinawa. Washington is the persistent one, showing it's wonderful qualities so much so that finally my eyes opened up to what was in front of me and now I do love this place. It took long enough but I really do like it here.
Now on cold days...don't ask me how much I like it here. ;)

Oh, Okinawa! I still miss the ocean breezes, the startling blue water, the majestic pink and purple sunsets radiating and casting wonderful glows across the landscape. The towering clouds on clear days...I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. But Washington? I am awed by the age-old green trees never fading from their hue, I am taken aback by the diamond-like stars I see at night and the mountain which has firmly held it's place like a stubborn yet regal king.

1 comment:

  1. How I understand!

    Every now and then a day will have a crazy dry heat and a see a dirty sidewalk stretch for miles with random madrona and palm trees, and I am 10 years old again, begging my parents not to uproot us from California and bring us to rain.

    But I've learned to love this place. And to be grateful for curly hair that doesn't require dry weather.

    And those glorious sunset are here too.

    But mostly... I've come to love the people that I know God has placed me in the midst of. You are so treasured Maira :) I hope your heart feels at home wherever God has called you to. What a wonderful thing to feel.

    ReplyDelete