It's been a busy summer. I don't know how or why because when I look at the things that need to be done every week I just don't see how they fill up. We had VBS a few weeks back and my only issue with that was waking up every morning. I'm not a morning person. I never was. In fact, I made things difficult as a child getting ready for school...nothing could bribe me to get up.
And the sad thing is morning is the most beautiful time on any given day. There is a something fresh, a newness of morning. The few times I have woken up early I find that I love morning. The colors in the beginning of each day are breathtaking and the crisp air is invigorating.
Why can't I wake up?!
Maybe that's it.Maybe if I wake up a little earlier each day, I won't feel like there is no time.
I believe the Lord wants me to wake up earlier too. To see His handiwork and to meet with Him before the day begins. I do devotions but hardly in the morning because I'm too groggy to read my Bible. Horrible excuse.
I read a post by John Piper a couple days ago and it fits so well, quite literally to my sleep situation. How many times have I turned away from the day for a few minutes of sleep neglecting the important things? How many times have I put desire and selfishness before God? Instead, why don't I ask God to give me a desire to wake up each day so that I can meet with Him? I just need to be willing.
Well enough of the soap box for now. I'm a work in progress.
We went on a field trip with the school awhile back and it was fun, a nightmare and very trying. Fun because I was with kids and they are so funny to be with. A nightmare because I was with kids and they know how to get themselves in trouble at least 10 times in 30 seconds. Trying because I was with kids while I love them I need them to know they can't misbehave. It's hard being firm at times but when I realize it is for their safety and well-being...I get firm. I need them to know under no circumstances are they to wander away without permission. To them, it may seem like I'm withholding "fun" but in all honesty, I would hate to lose them in a crowded place.
I work with kids quite alot. At work and church.
Children's Ministry is the highlight of my week. I love it, love it, love it. When they first made the announcement they needed someone for the 1-2 year olds I merely passed the plate on to someone else. "No, thank you. I work better with school-age children."
The need went on for two weeks. Until one day, as the announcement came again my sister nudged my elbow and said, "Shame on you." Astonished, I looked at her and she met my look. "They need someone and here you sit! Go and help them!"I told her I would pray about it but I already knew the answer. So I emailed and offered to take on the class.
And I'm so glad I did. The kids in that class highlight my day, and I have yet to have a bad day with them. They make me laugh in their crazy antics and watching them grow from baby words to almost working sentences makes me so proud of them. Or when I watch them try the slide for the first time, I LOVE cheering them on! And they go back to the slide every.time.
They are a great group of kids.
The time I spend with them I wouldn't trade for anything in the world!
It's amazing how when I brought this to the Lord I remember asking Him, "I work better with school-age children...isn't there some way you could place me there? But if it's Your will...then I will do it."
Funny. I was convinced He didn't want me there...but I was wrong.
And I'm glad.



So glad you are loving kids ministry!
ReplyDeleteMy mom said that field trip was CUH-RAZY!
She said the kids would scatter in 10 different directions and her entire day was spent counting frantically to five, haha! I felt so bad for her. Now she knows what it's like to be a deaf parent and constantly have to have eyes on your speedy kid!
You are awesomesauce with the little ones... you really have a gift. I am thankful that you allow the Lord to use you. Even when it seems like it is routine small things, think of the parents who are heartbroken at having to leave their children in someone else's care... and are comforted knowing that someone who LOVES them is showing them God's love when they have to be apart.
(We spend 2 hours on the road everyday... because we want our Itty Bit to be with people who love God like you do. Never underestimate what you give.)