Tuesday, July 24, 2012

He has overcome

With the recent tragedy at Colorado...it has been a time of reflection for me, at least. I look at the news and I see the victim's families and the heavy grief that is shown on all their faces...it is heart-wrenching. My heart goes out to them and I have been praying for them since this all started. Its been an eye-opener for me as I realize my complaints and situation are NOTHING compared to what they have been facing. Losing the ones they love and living in fear! I read an article yesterday and these teens are traumatized by what occurred. Who doesn't get angry at evil? I do. It makes me so angry at how evil our world is....the night that it happened...I read a verse on FB from one of my friends. I was unaware of what was occuring so I had no idea of what had just happened in Colorado until the next morning...She wrote John 16:33...

33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

I read that verse, thought about it and went to bed. The next morning, as the news media was all over what had happened...this verse came back to me. See, like every other human being, I'm a fearful person. When I was young, I always looked to my parents for protection. I felt like they were invincible and nothing could happen without their control. As I matured, I realized hey we are all human and no one on earth is in control. I didn't grow up in a Christian home, in fact Christ wasn't introduced into my life until I was 10 or 11 years old. So when I realized I was "unprotected" I became fearful. Praise the Lord I got to know Christ and there I saw Who was Sovereign and Good. But I forget that. And that morning, before fear could settle in...John 16:33. God used that verse to say " I know everything is in confusion right now...but I have overcome the world. Do not fear." And from there I knew I needed to be praying for those families...to hold on to His promise and to not let fear hinder me from praying for them. He reminded that though evil is rampant it is not the victor. He is...Jesus Christ is victorious. Right now evil is everywhere. The enemy is messing up the world in a very sick, twisted way and he wants to intimidate. He wants strike bitterness, fear, terror in the hearts of many so that we don't turn to God. And if we don't turn to God we will never find peace. I know its hard to think of peace right now...but it is possible with God. He wants to comfort. He grieves when we grieve...and He wants to help those who are hurting. So please continue to pray for Colorado. Pray that hearts will be opened,comforted, strengthened and that the enemy will be bound from continuing his wicked work in their hearts. Many have passed on to eternity on that night. Lets pray that those left behind will turn to the Lord for comfort and peace. And that they may know that Jesus Christ our Lord, has overcome evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment