Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chick Flick Tuesday: Ruth meets Boaz

So welcome back to another edition of Chick Flick Tuesday where I write what's on my heart on the book I am studying...which is of course the book of Ruth. Now I mentioned in my last post that I love this book because of Boaz, the Kinsman-Redeemer. I explained that I saw the character of Jesus in this guy so I find this chapter to be exciting for me!  I think I might have to split this in two parts because I really want to show you how I see Jesus in Boaz. All righty lets get started.

2 There was a relative of Naomi’s husband, a man of great wealth, of the family of Elimelech. His name was Boaz. 2 So Ruth the Moabitess said to Naomi, “Please let me go to the field, and glean heads of grain after him in whose sight I may find favor.”
And she said to her, “Go, my daughter.”

3 Then she left, and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers. And she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.

4 Now behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said to the reapers, “The Lord be with you!”
And they answered him, “The Lord bless you!”

-Ruth 2:1-4

Boaz is introduced into the scene and Scripture tells us who this guy is. He is a relative of Naomi's husband, he is wealthy and he is a believer. And Ruth just so happened to come across this guy's field...Okay before I go dancing with that point let me explain why Ruth is in the fields in the first place.

By the Law in Deuteronomy 24:19 , people who harvested were asked not to go over the field they had just done because it was for the stranger, the fatherless and the widow. This was a system where people who couldn't sustain themselves were taken care of and not left hungry. So if you were walking through a field and you realized you forgot a stalk of barley guess what? You couldn't go back and get it. God had blessed your field and He commanded that you share what He has blessed you with so that others may be blessed. Okay so back to Ruth...still on verse 3 here...

3 Then she left, and went and gleaned in the field after the reapers. And she happened to come to the part of the field belonging to Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech. (bold emphasis mine)

In a believers life there is never a "just so happened". With God in your life, His guiding hand upon you, things don't "just happen".  Here was a girl, dedicated to God, following the Law and she comes to a field. Not just any field but Boaz's, a God-fearing man. He is well respected (hello, he blesses his servants and they return the greeting) and he has a heart for the Lord. God is working.

5 Then Boaz said to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, “Whose young woman is this?”

6 So the servant who was in charge of the reapers answered and said, “It is the young Moabite woman who came back with Naomi from the country of Moab. 7 And she said, ‘Please let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves.’ So she came and has continued from morning until now, though she rested a little in the house.”

8 Then Boaz said to Ruth, “You will listen, my daughter, will you not? Do not go to glean in another field, nor go from here, but stay close by my young women. 9 Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Have I not commanded the young men not to touch you? And when you are thirsty, go to the vessels and drink from what the young men have drawn.”

Boaz notices Ruth..
I'm not quite sure if Boaz noticed this girl because she was pretty, because she was new, or whatever..But he does inquire after her and he finds out she is Ruth.  He has already heard about her (small town huh?) and because of that he extends grace to her. He tells her not to go to another field, stay with the young women, and he offers protection by commanding the young men not to touch her. He says in the MIV (Maria's International Version...I'm joking.) "Hey! Stay in my field. I will provide for you here and stay with the young girls here." Boaz is offering her provision and fellowship with the girls. Ruth, I believe, needed that. She was new girl with absolutely nothing to her name and the only person she could talk to? Her mother-in-law. If I was in Ruth's flip-flops, I would feel totally BLESSED! And what makes it better? Boaz offers protection! From the young guys! GAH! Food, fellowship and now protection! I bet she was blown away by this guy. This is Jesus. He says to me, "Maria, stay with Me. Don't go anywhere else but with Me. I will provide for you and I'll give you the fellowship you desire, and I will protect you. Stay."

Beautiful.

So here is where I will stop for today. :) Happy Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment