Boundaries.
Limits.
Fences.
What do these three have in common? The ability to hold back
something. We all have set boundaries for ourselves at one point and we stand
firm to them. Take for example, sheep. Shepherds throughout time have set sheep
in enclosed areas, fenced them in or set them in a pastures where they cannot
wander off to danger. If a sheep was to escape, they endanger themselves to the
natural elements or worse, the predators that seek to devour and destroy these
vulnerable creatures.
In a similar way, we are sheep. As followers of Christ, some
of us have boundaries, limits, that we can’t cross. They vary from person to
person. They might be tight and small or wide and open-spaced. Either way there
are limits for each person. I was complaining to someone the other day, about
how I feel like some people have more freedom than I do. They can do things
without feeling the slightest conviction whereas in my case, if I do the same
thing, I just don’t feel right. A poor example, is whenever a friend of mine
gets in a relationship, they hold hands, hug and kiss like lovebirds. Should I
ever get in a relationship, God has already set in my heart not to do that. Not
because I think I’m more holy or I want to be more spiritual. No, because I
know my weaknesses and I dare not cross to a place where I can sin against my
God. To those who can hold hands and do all that without failing like I would,
good for them. God has set the boundary a little tighter for me.
I’m not talking about relationships, okay? I’m talking about
boundaries and why it’s important as followers of Christ that we should heed
them and not try to cross them. They are there for our safety and placed there
by the Good Shepherd. He wants to keep us from danger and He seeks to protect
us.
Another example is a little bit recent. I downloaded this
new software at the advice of my sister. It’s called Cold Turkey and what it
does is SO helpful and beneficial for a college student like me. This software
blocks sites that can prove to be distracting all in a time frame that you set
yourself. I downloaded it and blocked Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube, Amazon,
various blogs for a couple hours. During that time frame I was able to freely
do my classwork without feeling the anticipation of checking anything. New products,
blogs, notifications, videos anything that could distract me from what I needed
to do. I got so much accomplished and even put in some craft projects because I
couldn’t be at my computer since those sites were blocked. This software was a
boundary I had to set for myself so I could focus on my classes.
I need boundaries and limits because there are distractions
out there which have the potential to take me away from Christ. I might get
upset at Him and ask, “Why aren’t You telling them not to do that, like You’re
telling me?” My understanding is because I will fail. I know, because I’ve
crossed the boundaries out of rebellion and I found myself in places I didn’t
want to be in.
There was a classmate I knew in high school…I knew there was
something wrong but I couldn’t figure it out. This guy was nice, proper…but his
smile was plastic and fake. He would say the nicest, flattering things…but God
placed it on my heart to stay away. But I didn’t want to. Why? Because this
fellow said he needed help. Out of sympathy, I fell into the trap of trying to
help. One time, he came to school and showed me how he hurt himself. And he
said he needed help…alarms flashed off in my head and I was struck. But I
wanted to help…even my mom had a dream of me venturing somewhere I shouldn’t be
going to and she warned me to be careful the day I tried to talk some sense
into this fellow. She didn’t know what was happening. I just never bothered to
tell her. But somehow he pursued me and I still am not sure what exactly what
happened but next thing I knew, that week he was threatening me.
God pulled me out. I was safe.
I’ve learned to heed His voice at all times and to trust God
where He tells me to go and where not to go.
What does this say, really?
God set a boundary, He placed it on my heart to stay away,
yet out of the sake of trying to help (and plain disobedience) I found myself
in a troubling place.
Friends, heed the voice of the Lord. Listen to your
God-given conscience because He placed it there for a reason. The Holy Spirit
is there to guide and show you because we are His sheep. The boundaries He sets
don’t balk or kick against them. He places them there for our good. The enemy
waits outsides those boundaries, waiting to attack. Don’t fall prey into it.
“Your ears shall hear a word behind you,
saying,
“This is the way, walk in it,”
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left.”
“This is the way, walk in it,”
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left.”
-Isaiah 30:21
“My sheep hear My
voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.”
-John 10:27
“8 Be
sober, be vigilant; because
your adversary the devil walks
about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”
-1 Peter 5:8
No comments:
Post a Comment