Saturday, October 20, 2012

Tortilla Fiasco

It all began in the beginning of Summer. My sisters and I were helping our parents make a barbecue happen and my mom asked me a simple request. She was busy preparing the fajitas and she needed my help. Her request? "Maria, make tortillas."

Well guess what?
I FORGOT. I FORGOT HOW TO MAKE TORTILLAS!!!

After mixing the dough and asking my father (yes, MY FATHER!) to please help me remember how to make them, my dad went and informed my mother I didn't know how. He, of course, didn't realize the effects his statement would cause. My mother came inside and said, "Shame on you! You see me make torillas all the time! I've shown you how and you don't remember??"
I grinned sheepishly, she shook her head and proceeded to help me. The very next day, as I was innocently going on about my business, cleaning the kitchen she gave me a pop quiz.

"Maria, yesterday I was a little embarassed (I don't remember the exact words) when you didn't remember how to make tortillas. So today, you are going to make them again without any help from me this time and the only thing I will tell you is that you need a stainless steel mixing bowl to began."

Hold up, wait a second.
SHE WANTED ME TO MAKE THEM AGAIN?

I know my jaw dropped to the ground. I hated making tortillas, getting the flour under my nails, my hands being super sticky, and burning my hands. I tried to get away with flattery/bribery/whining/getting annoyed emotions but I was met with a stoic expression and she simply told me to make the tortillas. So I did...and it started a series of learning the art of tortilla making the following months.Yes, my first project was making corn tortillas. That one wasn't too bad...But the flour tortillas??? Don't get me started on the flour tortillas! I made tortilla soup because I added too much water, I burned my thumb because I looked away at something (forgetting my hand was making it's way to the comal/griddle) and I made all the states when I rolled the dough out. It was horrible.
The last couple of months she has instilled in me to make these dreadful things. So I've made them over and over again to the point that I can make them now. My only issue is letting go of the metal spatula (this week I flipped them without the use of a spatula!!! YAY!). She told me a couple days ago, she wanted me to learn because no one really knows how to make them anymore.

So I can make tortillas now. :) My only problem? I used the tortilla principles I learned to bake a cake today...and my twin was none too happy because well...it was almost a chocolate tortilla mix...lets not go there though. I shall leave that story for another day.
Here is one of my first assignments making this.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment