Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Missing the military life

It was a silly video. One I found myself trying not to laugh over...but I couldn't help it. I remember this! It was so annoying at the time...I couldn't stand them! I thought to myself. Here were service members being just plain RIDICULOUS.  Finally when it ended, I found myself remembering the military. Specifically, the Marine Corps. Many of my friends joined the Armed Forces and for some time I wondered if I should do the same. I knew life would be different in the few years after I graduated. Or better yet, when we left the beautiful island of Okinawa. Could I deal with no longer living on base, with their Officers parading in the parking lot, rebuking those who didn't salute them? Could I deal with no longer seeing the dress code enforced and haircuts being clean cut? Yes, I could.

But it was a culture shock.

We arrived into an environment with no rank structure, no Commanding General enforcing curfew to the base occupants, and absolutely no clean hair cut! (Believe it or not, I still for the life of me cannot figure out why guys don't realize a haircut is important???).
 I MISSED (I never thought I'd say this) I missed seeing service members.

The military was what I grew up in. So many I come into contact with often talk about their childhood and you know what their story is? They had lived in a certain place their entire lives. They had childhood friends, a house that was theirs for years, family only minutes away...

 I've never had a good friend longer than 3 years...
I've never (other than oki) been in a place longer than 3 years.
I've seen my family/relatives less than 8 times in my life.

But it doesn't bother me because I don't know what I missed. I love the diversity of people I met as a military brat. Sometimes, I get a small twinge of jealousy whenever people talk about growing up in a certain place...but then I remember where I grew up and I wouldn't trade the memories of a military brat. The military life is so instilled into me, that now as we have reached the 2 year mark of living in Washington, I found myself itching to move again. Itching to try a new place, meet new people, embrace the diversity of places. But I know it's not going to happen...

So why do I write all that?

To say I miss the military life.
I'm content where I am right now...but I still miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment