With the news this week, yesterday I found myself yesterday so cast down about the evil in this world. Mankind seems to do whatever they want no matter what. So I turned to the Psalms and I came across Psalm 77 written by Asaph. Whenever I read from this specific psalmist, I've found he starts off wondering about the character of God but then towards the end, he recognizes Who is in control.
I cried out to God with my voice—
To God with my voice;
And He gave ear to me.
2 In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; (Search for Him. This is what Asaph did)
My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing;
My soul refused to be comforted.
3 I remembered God, and was troubled; (This is so important to remember in times of trouble!)
I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah (I did that. I focused on my complaints)
To God with my voice;
And He gave ear to me.
2 In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; (Search for Him. This is what Asaph did)
My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing;
My soul refused to be comforted.
3 I remembered God, and was troubled; (This is so important to remember in times of trouble!)
I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah (I did that. I focused on my complaints)
4 You hold my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5 I have considered the days of old, (Meditate on God's work in the past)
The years of ancient times.
6 I call to remembrance my song in the night; (There have been moments where I was comforted by God by His works and what He did for me. It's important I look to Him when I am troubled)
I meditate within my heart,
And my spirit makes diligent search. (Here I realize I need to pursue the Lord even more.
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5 I have considered the days of old, (Meditate on God's work in the past)
The years of ancient times.
6 I call to remembrance my song in the night; (There have been moments where I was comforted by God by His works and what He did for me. It's important I look to Him when I am troubled)
I meditate within my heart,
And my spirit makes diligent search. (Here I realize I need to pursue the Lord even more.
7 Will the Lord cast off forever?
And will He be favorable no more?
8 Has His mercy ceased forever?
Has His promise failed forevermore?
9 Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies? Selah
And will He be favorable no more?
8 Has His mercy ceased forever?
Has His promise failed forevermore?
9 Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies? Selah
(In times, where there is evil and darkness I have wondered if God was angry and punishing the world for it's sin or if He has cast us off. But that is not the case. Things are the way they are as a result of sin and our sinful nature. The enemy, the devil also is making a mess of things and influences the horrible wretched things that occur. However, like many are prone to do, including myself...we blame God.)
10 And I said, “This is my anguish;
But I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High.”
11 I will remember the works of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
12 I will also meditate on all Your work,
And talk of Your deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary;
Who is so great a God as our God?
14 You are the God who does wonders;
You have declared Your strength among the peoples.
15 You have with Your arm redeemed Your people,
The sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah
(When the doubts of God's goodness come, I need to remember my Lord, His character, and turn to His Word. I need to remember Him and realize that God isn't the One to cast off or withhold mercy. And He isn't helpless...He can do wonders in my life and yours. He can give the peace we need in times of trouble. That itself is a wonder indeed!)But I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High.”
11 I will remember the works of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
12 I will also meditate on all Your work,
And talk of Your deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary;
Who is so great a God as our God?
14 You are the God who does wonders;
You have declared Your strength among the peoples.
15 You have with Your arm redeemed Your people,
The sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah
16 The waters saw You, O God;
The waters saw You, they were afraid;
The depths also trembled.
17 The clouds poured out water;
The skies sent out a sound;
Your arrows also flashed about.
18 The voice of Your thunder was in the whirlwind;
The lightnings lit up the world;
The earth trembled and shook.
19 Your way was in the sea,
Your path in the great waters,
And Your footsteps were not known.
20 You led Your people like a flock
By the hand of Moses and Aaron.
The waters saw You, they were afraid;
The depths also trembled.
17 The clouds poured out water;
The skies sent out a sound;
Your arrows also flashed about.
18 The voice of Your thunder was in the whirlwind;
The lightnings lit up the world;
The earth trembled and shook.
19 Your way was in the sea,
Your path in the great waters,
And Your footsteps were not known.
20 You led Your people like a flock
By the hand of Moses and Aaron.
(Can you imagine all of this? One of nature's fiercest obeys God. The same water that can cause disaster in nations, the same storm which pounds mercilessly on homes is hushed by our Lord! He separated the water and led His people across the Red Sea. The same water that brought down an oppressing wicked pharaoh, obeys God! THINK ABOUT IT.)
So I hope this post hasn't been too long but I thought I should share a small part of my devotion from yesterday. It encouraged me and reminded me again who is in control. Thank You, Lord for Your Word and reminding me who You are in times of trouble. Thank You for showing me Your greatness and in these verses how much You really care. I love You.
No comments:
Post a Comment