Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sweet Sunday: It's HOT (Day 2 of this Summer Sweetness)

Welcome to another post of Sweet Sunday where I blab to my fellow readers of the beautiful day of the week...Sunday. Today was insufferably hot (for those who saw me at church today, forgive me for being such a hot mess) but it was a good day. We had an interesting sermon which was on the topic of fear. I feel like the message addressed all my issues on fear and I wish it was longer because I wanted to hear more on how to deal with this crippling emotion. Fear is very paralyzing and it can dictate our choices...ranging from the hard decisions of life  to what we wear each day. Yes, fear has the ability to guide all our actions to such an extent.

I love though, that God provides a solution. I know that if I trust God more,fear won't have such a stronghold on my life. In high school, I was a fearful girl. My first week at a new high school, some guy approached me and said if I said anything, I'd get hit. Well! Then the same month, one of my guy classmates came and kissed me on the cheek!!!! EW,EW,EW!!! Why do I give these examples? Well I say that to say this...some of my fears are based on experience. I used to be a bit skeptic of making guy friends. Yeah, I was aquainted with a few in school (For the sake of being real, I will say the guys were in the "nerd crowd" so I wasn't easily intimidated) but it didn't extend to friendship. I was okay with that. Until I realized after high school, that my skepticism on fellows could be an obstacle. I didn't trust any of my fellow guy peers mainly because of the impropriety I faced in high school. Until I met one who was different.
Different? How? Well from the moment I saw this dude I immediately knew something was different than the other guys I associated with in high school. He was polite, proper and just plain nice. I could only come up with a reason for his behavior. He was Christian. He didn't tell me, I just knew (I'm pretty sure God showed me this). Later, I did ask if he was a fellow believer, he replied "Yes, are you?" and I said yes...we both we were astounded because we both felt that the other was Christian without mentioning it before up until that point. Why do I mention this guy? Because through him, God showed me, not all guys out there were like the ones in high school. Through this Christian brother, I instantly saw how they were supposed to act when they walk with the Lord. God showed me, I didn't need to fear being friends with a dude...it's a bit hilarious as I think about the fears I went through because I could care less now about those fears. Another thing, that caused me to be fearful was the understanding of who I was in Christ. Because I wasn't confident in this truth I was a bit timid and believed many of the lies my peers (again the dudes...seriously? Y'all gave me a tough time!) But this Christian brother, shot them down in one day. I told him what people used to call me (just plain mean. It wasn't even true, but I believed it) and he proclaimed (though he was upset at me for believing their lie) that it wasn't true. And I believed him (I really had no choice. He spoke as if he believed it and the frown that accompanied it confirmed his statement)...He was a great brother. I was disappointed losing his friendship (time, distance...) but God used him to get me out of my shell. Because of his friendship, I learned guys can be good friends and I didn't need to fear their friendship.

So that's one of my fears that I went through and overcame.

I'm still, however, a splintered piece of wood in need of sanding by the Great Carpenter, Jesus Christ. I have fears,anxieties, doubts...many flaws that God is working in me. But as evidenced above,He is faithful to complete me. Love it.

6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;

-Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment