It's a beautiful morning that began with overcast skies and a promise of a beautiful day. We began with a small discussion of life and the simple perplexities of things we take for granted ("Why do we have glass windows? Why couldn't we have them shuttered instead?") I toasted my bagel on the comal (I'm not fond of toasters unless I really need something toasted fast) and listened sleepily to the humorous argument of why a shuttered window would be better. I sip my coffee wishing it was Nescafe instead of the grocery store's generic brand and hoping it would help keep me awake. I guess it does, because instantly I join in and chuckle as to why shutter windows wouldn't be so great. Glass windows are meant to look like pictures...the outdoors is the picture and the window is the frame, I state (a photographer's answer, I know). My mother shrugs and insists shutters are better. I glance at my bagel wondering why isn't it toasting only to find the stove wasn't set at it's highest setting. I look around and see that my sisters and mother are waiting to began praying. I glance again and my twin excitedly says we can pray (she is also happy it's Monday.) I nod and we bow our heads together.
Prayer is so good. I wish I could do it more often and I desperately wish I was more focused in prayer. I get distracted often (I hope my bagel doesn't burn...should I get more coffee?). Prayer is a time where we talk with God. In my last post, I mentioned that I need to be in the Word more often. What I didn't mention was that I also need to pray more. Last night, my sisters and I were discussing something and my mother saw that it needed to be lifted up in prayer. I hate to admit, but I got a bit annoyed. Praying again? But I didn't argue (it was a topic that desperately needed prayer. I was foolish and stupid to get annoyed) and bowed my head and we prayed together aloud. Each of us prayed and when it got to my turn, I hesitated. What was I supposed to say? I began, falteringly at first, and the situation we were praying over began to be real in my mind and I felt for the people involved. I felt like I was hurting with them and calling out to God for comfort and strength. Instantly, as if a light switch had been turned on, I saw Satan's hand in the whole ordeal and I asked God to protect the individuals from the enemy and to heal them of their brokenness. Suddenly, I realized the battlefield we were engaged in. Prayer isn't just a talk with God...It is our line of communication where we can bring our burdens and troubles before Him. We realize Who is in control and the Who has the ability to make all things new. Each of us were filled with words asking for God's intervention. And for restoration.
Prayer also helps us get things in proper perspective. I was annoyed...but then God showed me the hurting people and I realized prayer isn't supposed to be taken as a chore. There were people who needed prayer. Now I'm not saying God depends on our prayers so that He can work. He can work very well without our prayers. But when we pray we see God and His faithfulness to hear and help us. In fact, prayer benefits us more. Prayer is to our benefit.
I guess an analogy (I always give examples...poor ones) would be my parents. For example, let's say how I was hungry and I forgot my wallet at home. They see me, offer to pay my lunch and I'm content. I don't really think nothing of it. But let's change it and let's say I do ask. "I forgot my wallet at home. Can you buy me lunch?." They agree and buy me lunch. But something else happens. I know I can come to my parents when I need something because they help me when I ask. I can always come to them with a request and I am able to see that they do listen.
Does that make sense or was that just a plain,bad,analogy?
All righty, what I'm trying to say is that when I pray I see that God listens. Yes, He can do without me praying but what that would establish is the conclusion that "Hey, it's God. Of course, He can heal. He's supposed to do that." But when it is a prayer answered it's like, "Whoa! He is faithful to listen! To little pathetic me? Wow. So He does hear me..."
Prayer is that and so much more.
7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment