Friday, April 27, 2012

Foto Friday


Okay so some of you have read my post yesterday and as I was reading through it, I wondered if I sounded a bit harsh. Just to clarify that wasn't my intent and I wanted to write was on my heart concerning the matter. :) Well as the blog title suggests I am going to start a mini series every Friday and post on a topic that I  absolutely love. The art of photography! I'm no professional but I just would like to share what I learn to those out there. Learning with a  DSLR camera can get intimidating (or really the art of photography) so I would just like to share some of the things I learned when I picked up my camera. First, a little summary of how I got into photography.  The summer of my junior year in high school it just came out of nowhere. I mean, I liked drawing ALOT so this was fairly a new creative outlet to express myself. One day, my mom bought a National Geographic magazine about photography and she let me read it. Well...I got hooked. To be honest, I think God planted that desire in my heart because during that summer I was really reading my Bible and I felt really close to Him during that time. And through that season He showed me His creation through His Word and He used the beautiful environment of Okinawa to draw me close to Him. In fact, that summer is one that I really treasure because I was just so blessed! So I used my dad's small camera to capture His Creation. I learned basic functions (macro, portrait, exposure compensation...) and I was satisfied. Then school started and it just halted...until the next summer. A friend of mine had a Canon. And I was interested and this time I sought to get my own camera and LEARN. So I did and God has blessed me. Yes, I don't own a photography business and some days it feels like my gift is sitting on a shelf. But I'm waiting on Him and for now I hope to take pictures of His Creation and hope that others are drawn to Him just as I was. :)

So here is an image I took straight out of camera (SOOC). My watermark was added later but other than that this image is unedited.
Now these images have been edited. I used Photoshop Elements 7.0 and used an action called "Mini Fusion". You can find that here. It was created by a talented lady named Jodi who is the founder of the action site and she's got lots of great actions for photographers. The bottom image was edited by me using Windows Photo Gallery. I used the slides on saturation, contrast, and exposure. Not really alot of work (the only hard part was my watermark because I had to create a new brush...blah,blah...I'll teach you that if you're interested). Aside from the technological aspect, I think anyone can take a great picture. Its not about the gadgets, lenses or even the camera. Its about the person behind it! Actually, God using you to glorify Him in that gift. When I took this photo I was pretty frustrated because I left ALL my lenses at home! All I had was my kit lens. I'm not too crazy about them and I doubted I could come with any good image.As I was looking around at the trees I found myself staring at these blossoms.  I lifted my camera, snapped the shutter and I was amazed! Isn't Jesus like that? Using something that you woulndn't use and then making something beautiful out of it? He is like that! Even now as I write this, I see myself as the kit lens. I have no special talent but God uses me anyway! Why? So that people can KNOW its Him! It would be obvious that HE DID IT! :D I love that.

But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;   and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,   that no flesh should glory in His presence.
1 Corinthians 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment