Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Dear Emotions

Dear Emotions,

Well you seem to be having the winning end lately, haven't you? I've been confused, fearful and wondering, thanks to you. Because of you, the time I spend with my family is spent in silence and agitation. Because of you, I'm unsure what the next step should be. As a girl, Emotion, you tend to make most of my decisions when I really don't want you to.  You can make me foolish to chase things I shouldn't chase.
Emotions, you are a gift. I'll give you that. One of your characteristics is laughter and I love that. I love being happy, loving, peaceful, joyful....
However,
You're not to be the controlling factor of my life.
You're not to cause me fear when I search God's will.
You're not to step in and say, "Do it this way, it'll make you feel better."
Emotions, God has shown me something else. You're telling me one thing...He has showed me another. I knew the answer already and I've accepted that truth. He refined me with this truth and what do you do? You make me doubt and wonder if God has changed His mind.
For years I dreamed of one thing to the point that dream became an obsession and a means of hopeful escape. It wasn't bad but how much stock I put into it was. I closed all other possible paths God had for me.  He showed me that despite what I desired was good, it had become a hindrance. It had become a wall to the path of God's will. He opened my eyes and showed me this is where I belong, not there.
You see, Emotion, I became bitter that my dream wasn't fulfilled. I placed blame on those closest to me and all the "what if's" on them causing restraint on my relationship with them and the Lord. Finally, I stepped back and instead realized it was the Lord behind the scenes and it was His hand. I backed off because the Lord always has something better than I plan or even imagine.
So, Emotion, STOP.
But since you and I are so close, the best thing I should do is turn to His Word and Truth.
When I turn to His Word, my Lord is in sight and you, Emotion, are in your rightful place.
This is where I belong and this is where I should be. He has given me a purpose here even if sometimes it is repetitive...but other times I am a light for the Him and there I find the pure joy which can only come from Jesus Christ, my Lord.


“The heart is deceitful above all things,

And desperately wicked;
Who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9

 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another."-Galatians 5:22-26




No comments:

Post a Comment