There's this site I like to check out ALOT. It's called Boundless and on this site they have great posts and topics. The one thing I don't agree with is online dating and their encouragement on it. Yes, they provide a site that they've reviewed and they say it's good....but nah, I don't go for that.
Anyways, regardless of our difference of opinion, they give great Biblical advice on singleness. I've been reminded the last few months by a few well meaning people I'm single so I think this a good site that provides encouragement for those who are. It's not a BAD THING! Honestly, being single isn't a curse or a plague.
But I'm getting totally off topic on what this post was for...I decided to write a post on how to handle when you're interested in someone and what to do with it. It's important we know what to do when you are interested in a particular person because as Christians, I think we need to be careful. There's our thought life we need to watch, our actions, our behavior...why? Because we have the tendency to let our emotions dictate our actions and quite often we feed our fleshly desires. And that just leads you down the wrong path. Feeding the physical appetites of the flesh and not focusing on our relationship with God can cause our fellowship with Him to waver dramatically. So here is my two cents...
1.) Bring it to God.
I have the belief sometimes, that God could care less about how I feel about a fellow. Why bring it up to Him? He's God and He has other things that need attending to...why should my prayer even come to Him? But that is a lie. If we don't bring this to Him, we enter into the battlefield of our flesh without the covering of prayer. We get discouraged, cast down, and angry which are caused by the fiery darts of the enemy. We easily believe the lies, we aren't pretty enough, good enough etc. Or we sin in our thought life and actions. If we bring it to God, we find the strength to endure it and deal with it in a Godly, pure way! God wants to help us!
2.) Bring those thoughts captive. (2 Corinthians 10:5)
We're human. Let's face it, we plan events and scenarios that even the Hallmark channel would be jealous. May encourage you not to do that? Don't feed the flesh (that' pretty much the point of the post here.) but instead feed the Spirit with the Word of God. Cheryl Brodersen, someone who I really admire, shares a story on how to deal with our thoughts. Her grandson had watched a movie he wasn't supposed to and he was so scared he couldn't go to sleep. So Cheryl, his grandmother, encouraged him to stop thinking about the ravenous wolves he was afraid of and fill his mind with something else. After a moment or two, he enthusiastically told her the thoughts were gone! Instead, with happiness, he was thinking of SHARKS! And this little boy was rejoicing at the turn of his thoughts. Though this story is humorous, I think there is some application to it even in our own lives! Yes, don't think those fleshly thoughts but instead think of what is pure, noble and true (Phil.4:8) Don't just stop thinking about it but REPLACE them with good things. Ponder on the Word of God! And don't do it half-heartedly. Get into it so that the filth is scrubbed off. It's important we do this...
3.) Pray for them.
This one, in my own life has helped me. It ties in with the last point but I think it works. I'm an emotional girl and a dreamer so I really need to be careful what I allow myself to think. It's been a struggle in my life and I know I'm not the only one. Through the advice of a good friend, I pray for this person. Now, I don't do it to win God's favor in granting me the desire...let that be the last thing on my mind when I bring this person before the Lord. But I wonder, what if God uses my weakness to help somebody? I don't know for certain that is the case...but I'd rather be praying for them than being brought into a bondage of sin. Instead of dreaming, I can be praying! And through this I have learned God is with me. I'm not facing my struggle of the heart alone and instead I am using my weakness to pray for someone who might need it. I pray that the person might be strengthened in God, fall more in love with Him and that God would work in his life. I don't include myself in there. Ever.
So I hope this helps even one person...if not, that's okay too. :)
Be blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment