No,no, this not another pitiful rant about moving or leaving.
But about being brought back.
Obviously, I got off the daily reading plan…but I went back
to it last night. And I read where I left off and I found myself relating to
the story of Abram in Genesis 12-13. Here in the beginning of chapter 12 God
gives him a message to leave his country, father’s house and family. He
promises Abram an abundant amount of blessings and protection under Him. Abram
goes and the Lord appears before him. He re-confirms His promise and then I
read the following verse, “…there he built an altar to the Lord and called on
the name of the Lord.”
This is the first I read up to that point that Abram calls
on God. This is where he makes the commitment to God and surrender his will to
Him. I mean, who wouldn’t? In Genesis 12:1-3 there is a promise!
Abram will be shown a land by God Himself (vs.2)
Abram’s name will be great (vs.2… later it does get changed
to Abraham…but I’ll get to that later)
Abram will be a blessing(vs.2 again. A lot of PA-POW in that
small verse!)
Abram will be protected (vs.3)
So after these things happen Abram follows God’s leading
takes up his wife, Sarai, and Lot and does what God commands. He steps out in
faith, no questions. He gets there and there are inhabitants. Maybe Abram
wondered a bit because God reminds him again, “To your descendants, I will give
this land.” And yes, I’m repeating myself but let me point this out again.
Abram builds an altar to God and calls on Him. In the very next chapter,
however, there is a test of Abram’s faith in God’s promise. There is a famine
in the land. A famine in the land God had promised to Abram. I wonder what
raced through Abram’s mind…
“Lord, isn’t this the place You promised? There’s a famine
here…my family isn’t going to survive if I don’t do something!”
So he goes out of the land God had shown him and goes to
Egypt. He lies about Sarai because he is afraid he might get killed since she
is so beautiful. When you get out of the plan of God and His will and do things
your own way, more than likely you will be afraid/worried because you aren’t resting
in God and you’ll do things you normally wouldn’t. You’re doing it yourself. That’s what we see here in Abram. He’s worried
so he lies.
And what happens is Pharaoh takes a fancy to Sarai so he
brings her to his house. Poor Sarai. Dealing with her husband’s lie so he’s
safe but then what about her? Because Abram got worried about this famine he
leaves the land God gave him. He’s worried about his life so he lies. Now his
wife is unintentionally taken from him and they’re stuck. If Abram admitted she
was his wife, he faces his possible death because she is so beautiful. If he doesn’t,
he might lose her.
God intervenes.
He brings a plague upon Pharaoh’s house and Pharaoh finds
out who Sarai really is. He freaks out,
“Why would you do this to me? Why didn’t you tell me? She
could have been my wife! Now take her and get out of here!” (My paraphrase;
verses 18-19)
So Abram goes with all that he has, wife included, and
leaves Egypt.
I believe Abram saw the hand of God in this. He probably
realized God is taking care of him, so he goes back. Back to the place where he
first committed to God.
3 And he went on his journey
from the South as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the
beginning, between Bethel and Ai, 4 to
the place of the altar which he had made there at first. And there Abram called
on the name of the Lord.
Genesis 13:3-4
I found this to be the most beautiful
moment in these chapters. Abram goes specifically back to the exact spot where
he called on God. He could have built an altar somewhere else but no. He wanted
to go back where he began. He wanted to start over again and this time with a
TRUE faith in God.
This passage spoke to me last night. I had
been doing things, planning my own way only to run into trouble and
frustration. And God intervened. Not as drastic as Abram’s situation but enough
to make me realize I needed to go back to the will of God. I had gone out with
my own ideas when I saw dreams not being fulfilled in my timing. I guess I saw a famine. Using my own
effort and strength I fell into weariness and just being irritated. Finally at
the point where I felt stuck, stuck in this situation, stuck in Washington, the
possibility of never leaving, He showed me Himself. He reminded me I am here
because He willed it. Geographically, I never moved. But in my heart I did. I
went to Egypt, back to my flesh and attempted things my way.
He didn’t leave me that way.
So with the reminder of why I am here and
not there…I found rest. Because it was God’s will. And His will is the perfect
best for me.
I’m calling out again…but this time with
more faith. I will fail…but I pray I just continue to accept His will for me,
right now at this very moment. I don’t need to worry about tomorrow. He has it.
I’m back, Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment